[OSM-talk] Funding of three infrastructure projects : Nominatim, osm2pgsql, Potlatch 2

Alexandre Oliveira rockytvbr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 15:05:32 UTC 2020

> At this time nobody is proposing anything more than giving P2 a bit more life for a small sum of money

And as myself and others have brought up, it's not a good idea to
spend money to port P2 from a dead technology to another dead
technology, if people still use it it's much more beneficial in the
long term to port it to modern web technologies than have to spend a
few thousand bucks every once in a while to port a software that's
pretty important for OSM (even though its usage has decreased over the
years the changeset amount is still high) to another dead technology.

As someone (I can't recall who it was) said, "$2500 is not much", then
if the OSMF wants to spend it on useless efforts (i.e. porting P2 from
Flash to Air) then why not give it to me then, if the OSMF wants to
spend this money? :P Jokes aside, if the OSMF really wants to spend
this money I'd suggest it to be spent somewhere else if the board is
so keen on setting up life support and going through the stress that
it is to maintain dead libraries.

--
Atenciosamente,
Alexandre Oliveira.