[OSM-talk] Roadmap for deprecation of name tags in OSM

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 13:00:21 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 9. Aug 2020, at 10:44, Mateusz Konieczny via talk <talk at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>
> tagging name tag is a fundamental  part of OSM tag,
> offloading it to a third party service is a mistake that will not happen

+1, names are a fundamental part of OpenStreetMap, we must keep the decision and authority in the project, decide on edge cases and contested values according to our rules and not based on someone else’s rules.

In particular, regarding wikidata, we are focusing on ground truth, while wikidata is mostly a mixture of different sources, often imported without even having a human looking at it. I also agree with Simon that this would be an enormous drop in quality.

Cheers Martin