[OSM-talk] Roadmap for deprecation of name tags in OSM

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 13:31:44 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 9. Aug 2020, at 15:08, pangoSE <pangose at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> To support and emphasize ground truth I think we should setup a service like Wikimedia commons also to host verification images that proves how it looks on the ground.

I agree photos from the current on the ground situation are a very useful addition. I only recently started to add image tags in a systematic way, and am quite satisfied with these first steps. I’m currently using wikimedia commons, which after a few experiments now works sufficiently well for me, and while I also agree that a tighter integration of an image store into the system (avoids having to copy the names, might avoid having to type descriptions and adding categories) would make my life easier, I also acknowledge that the resources needed to make such a system working and keeping it online are significant (think data storage, network traffic and computing power for image scaling), so I’m not holding my breath for this to come any soon.

Cheers Martin