[OSM-talk] Call for verification (Was: Re: VANDALISM !)

pangoSE pangose at riseup.net
Sat Aug 22 09:59:45 UTC 2020

Hi

Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> skrev: (22 augusti 2020 11:44:49 CEST)
>On Sat, Aug 22, 2020, 11:30 pangoSE <pangose at riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi 😀
>>
>> Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com> skrev: (22 augusti 2020
>> 10:51:49 CEST)
>> >(1) Wikipedia may strongly encourage or mandate it in theory, but
>there
>> >are
>> >still edits being made without any citations
>>
>> Yeah I know, but the point is its really hard to create a new article
>in
>> WP without references without it being flagged for deletion. So by
>> "threatening" with deletion they raise the bar for inclusion and
>hence
>> hopefully raise the quality too. We have no system to flag for
>deletion,
>> nor to verify an object.
>>

>I find this highly annoying on Wikipedia and it is the reason I don't
>contribute there anymore.

Interesting. I guess you are not the only because  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deletionpedia exist.
I don't propose we annoy our users the same way, because the downside is fewer editors.

I guess its a choice on an continuum between general low quality edits and many editors and generally higher quality edits and fewer editors.

Right now OSM accepts almost any crap edit you can throw at it with a big thank you and we have no really good way of measuring the quality of what remains after our sometimes spotty QA.

I would like to help change that by providing better tools for verification and follow up of things you added/edited in the past.

I would very much love a telegram bot flagging a new user making an edit to an object I help curate, but no such tool exist to my knowledge today.

WDYT? Would such a tool be nice to have?

Cheers
pangoSE