[OSM-talk] Call for verification (Was: Re: VANDALISM !)

pangoSE pangose at riseup.net
Sun Aug 23 11:55:12 UTC 2020

Hi Martin

Den Sat, 22 Aug 2020 19:30:23 +0200 Martin
skrev Re: [OSM-talk] Call for verification (Was: Re:  VANDALISM !):

> sent from a phone
>
> > On 22. Aug 2020, at 10:15, pangoSE <pangose at riseup.net> wrote:
> >
> > Here is yet another example of bad data in our database:
>

> fix it ;-)

Yeah! But to fix "it" (it being the overall low or unknown quality of
the map) we need good tools that encourage reviewing and fixing.

We
have a discoverability and usability problem IMO in this area. I fixed
loads of errors during my time and I like it, but I have a poor grasp
of the overall quality of the map in the area and OSM is not making it
easy for me to find the less good quality spots with
stale/old/non-reviewed data.

> Of course OpenStreetMap contains errors, just like any other source,
> and probably more, given that most contributors are laymen and have
> very few experience (few total edits, often just 1).
>
> On the other hand, we may be very fast when something changes, very
> flexible in emergencies (think Haiti), and have interesting niche
> data that commercial and public data providers don’t care for.

Yes, that really nice. I would like to find a middle ground between fast
and poor/unknown and slow and high degree of verification.

> It all depends on the local community in the end. If you have reached
> a critical mass to have locals everywhere, it will work great and
> bugs will wash out. Otherwise the data might get stale just like any
> other data. Also using the data is essential to find the problems,
> for example the 212 story garage is likely fixed now ;-)

Yeah, I agree. Lets make it easy for a local community to keep the map
verified and up to date. We could e.g. set a verification-needed
flag on objects edited in a changeset with "please review". That would make it easy create an
overview of all things todo in your local area based on the objects -
not the changesets that touched them (they can easily be found in
todays interface from the object).

/pangoSE