[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Call to Take Action and Confront Systemic Offensive Behavior in the OSM Community

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 11:17:20 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 5:22 AM Thomas Barris via osmf-talk
<osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> Why do you think such an OSM project as you want it is desirable for the majority of the community? I have signed up to this project to collect and share free geodata.  I am not in favour of using OSM(F) for distributing the questionable moral standards of a minority - and I don't mean minority in terms of gender, religion or color. If you have issues to deal with the way other cultures and communities express opinions, including exaggerations, direct speech and sometimes even discuss emotionally beyond the borders, you should not join an international project imho. Frederik's statement in question has nothing to do with diversity. He did not imply that gender, sex, relegion etc has something to do with the point he made. If you think his tone wasn't appropriate, just tell him and probably many will support you in this judgement.

I will just point out a common pattern:

1. Someone speaks up about their experiences and how they and their
colleagues feel we have inclusion issues and propose changes.
2. There is an unanswerable flood of emails by a few, but loud folks
disagreeing and demanding proof, etc. Good for them I guess? Everyone
should feel so confident sharing their very important views.
3. More folks feel drowned out, unheard, afraid to speak up, discouraged
4. The very few use the lack of other voices as proof "the community
does not want this"

Time to find a way to break this cycle.

Best wishes,
Blake