[OSM-talk] Crimea situation - on the ground

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Sat Feb 8 11:37:20 UTC 2020

On 08.02.20 12:01, Colin Smale wrote:
> Absolutely. But we should document our sources! Basic rule of research.
> And if we choose to promote one alternative above the others, we are
> skating on thin ice.

IMO, the "alternative" OSM promotes is "what's on the ground". Let's
nail our colours to the mast. IMO this is our (long standing) standard.
In theory, we don't need to provide documentation, because, in theory,
other mappers can "go there" and "look" at it first hand themselves.

> Have we actually asked the people of Crimea
> first-hand what they think? No=>it's someones opinion.

My example of "asking people on the ground" is for city names.
`admin_level=2` border (IMO) means (except here) "what country
physically controls the area".

Is there anyone who actually doesn't think Russia currently _does_
control the area? Anyone in Crimea, in Ukraine, in Russia, who doesn't
think that? I don't think so. (whether you think Russia _should_ control
it or not). I suspect Ukrainian police don't go into Crimea today,
showing a certain level of knowledge of who actually controls the area
now....