[OSM-talk] OTG rule, borders & mountains existing | Re: Crimea situation - on the ground

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 03:26:51 UTC 2020

> Re: "Similarly, type=route relations (road, bicycle, hiking, equestrian...) enter OSM from ODbL-compatible government-published maps, yet remain unsigned (or poorly signed) in the real world."

Please do not add this section. Most types of route relation should
only be mapped if they are actually signed. Some which are fixed-route
public services can be mapped based on actually riding the route,
which is also a real-world method of verification which does not
depend on consulting an external map or document. I do not think the
"good practice" page should mention mapping routes which are not
verifiable in the real world, which only exist on paper. While some
mappers like to add such things (like "proposed" bicycle routes or
hiking routes which only exist in guidebooks and have no signs), this
is not a good practice.

> Re: "on a government map, by legal / statutory decree, from data authoritatively published on a website"

These examples are not "good practice" sources for openstreetmap.
While many mappers import data from such sources, there is no "value
added" in the case that mappers are unable to confirm if the
government or "authoritative" data is accurate or inaccurate. Since
the data in Openstreetmap can be changed at any time, and often by
mistakes caused by new mappers, the authoritative database or source
will always be better for database users to consult directly, unless
openstreetmap can improve the originally imported data by checking it
against reality.

Remember, this is the "good practice" page we are talking about
editing, not the "how things really are done" page: we want to focuse
on the "Gold Standard", best practices.

- Joseph Eisenberg