[OSM-talk] OTG rule, borders & mountains existing | Re: Crimea situation - on the ground

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 22:34:59 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 12 feb 2020, alle ore 14:06, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> ha scritto:
>
> Exactly this. A hobbyist or volunteer CAN verify an admin boundary (where it is available as open data) - it is independently verifiable. It is objectively of better quality than an OTG observation with a phone.

this will obviously depend on the individual case, but in some instances in Europe I have seen the published open data boundaries were simplified geometries. Just because the original datum was precisely acquired doesn’t necessarily imply that the published open data (often derivative data) is super accurate as well (our own errors in the transformation of the data during the import aside).

Cheers Martin