[OSM-talk] [Tagging] nomoj de internaciaj objektoj / nazwy obiektów międzynarodowych / names of international objects

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 04:48:12 UTC 2020

Since this issue is somewhat controversial, it would be best to create
a proposal page to suggest the proper way to tag continents, oceans
and seas - these tags were never formally discussed, and have some
problems.

Also, the correct way to propose automatically changing a large number
of features is to follow the "Automated Edits code of conduct":
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct

This includes "systematic edits to the database by other means without
consideration of each change. This policy also applies to substantial
changes made using 'find and replace' or similar functions within
standard editors such as JOSM" - so I believe this would be the case
for editing all the seas and oceans.

"You should normally document your proposed edit at an
English-language wiki page named "Automated edits/username" (where
username is the OSM user name of the account that you will be using to
perform the edits - think about this now so that you don't have to
rename the page later), and add it to Category:Automated edits log.

Your documentation should state:

Who is making the change (preferably your real name and how to contact
you, ideally e-mail address)
Your motivation for making the change and why it is important
A detailed description of the algorithm you will use to decide which
objects are changed how
Information about any consultation that you have conducted, with links
to mailing list/forum posts or Wiki discussion pages
When the change was made, or how frequently it is going to be repeated
Information on how to "opt out"

Please read the rest of the information at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct
prior to proceeding.

(FYI, I am personally in favor of removing the English name=* tags for
continents and oceans, and perhaps for many of the seas, but it's
important to get consensus about a major edit like this)

- Joseph Eisenberg