[OSM-talk] Creation of "Data Items" by bot for undocumented tags

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Feb 19 02:49:56 UTC 2020

19 Feb 2020, 00:14 by yuriastrakhan at gmail.com:

> It is very strange that we, on one hand, allow anyone to create any kind of tags (just type it in), and on the other we create so many hurdles to document it (we refuse to allow a wiki page about an item, but instead demand that each key page go through a proposals process, approve it, etc).

New pages are very often created without
a proposal process.

It is untrue that tag needs to go
through
a proposal process to be documented.

And it is desirable to create such pages.

To repeat: people are welcomed to
create new pages for not yet documented tags and values.

Easiest way to do this is to copy content from
the existing page and edit it.

In case of technical issues feel free to
save broken version and
sunshine will fix it, or create page
without infobox template or ask
for help.
You may be confusing it with mentioning
new tags on pages describing popular tags.
> When a data item is created automatically, it makes the process of adding such documentation very straightforward -- e.g. if one uses iD editor, they simply expand the (i) button next to the tag, click edit, and type in the description.

See above, you solve problem that
does NOT exists.

And iD goal is to hide existence of tags from
mappers.

I am not a fan of solution that would make
easy for such mappers to edit tag descriptions.

Is it actually implemented?
If yes - is anyone looking at quality of
changes made?
(I keep data items of my wiki watchlistas it is impossible to hide edits indescriptions in languages unfamiliar to me)
> Moreover, it should be possible to do so directly from iD, without going to another page. The eventual goal is to make it simple to add such descriptions __without__ leaving the current editing tool (iD/JOSM/...) and without visiting the wiki.

So goal is to make easy to diverge
OSM Wiki page description from
its summary description, due to
allowing to edit without looking at context?
I see it as the next major negative for
data items.