[OSM-talk] Web editors and lane rendering

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Feb 19 04:27:38 UTC 2020

 I'm working on editing I 405 in Los Angeles, California for lane guidance,
and at almost 150 miles not counting ramps, it's a big effort to go
through, so it's taken enough time that others are editing around where I
started.  No big deal, I'm fine with that, *except...*

I'm consistently noticing users of Potlatch and Id are ignoring
placement=*, lanes=* and turn:lanes=* tags, reconnecting ramps I already
adjusted and tagged to connect much farther down in a place that disagrees
with what's going on in the lane tagging (and this will result in incorrect
guidance).

I'm curious if there's any reason that id and Potlatch don't render lanes
and placement tags.  I suspect the fact that they're not made obvious to
the user is the reason why mappers using these editors are seeming to
ignore something made quite obvious in JOSM.  Could we get some lane
editing/rendering in these editors to cut down on this kind of
unintentionally erratic mapping?