[OSM-talk] Attribution guideline update

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Feb 19 13:24:42 UTC 2020

On Wednesday 19 February 2020, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> * "Except for small maps or multiple data sources, as described
> below, attribution must be visible without requiring the user to
> click on an icon or similar interaction." - Your critique focuses on
> the exceptions, but saying clearly that an "(i)" is *generally* not
> sufficient is a good and necessary step.

That is part of what i refered to with the document containing self
contradictions.  It makes general statements like the one you cited but
then provides specific guidance contradicting these general statements.
That is strongly misleading.

In this case the statement that "small maps or multiple data sources"
are the only cases where the document does not require visible
attribution is wrong.  For example it is later stated that visible
attribution is not required if "there is legal or safety or privacy
information that needs to be presented with similar or greater
prominence to attribution" - which at least in the EU is always the
case!

> On the whole, I find that the document does a good job at fleshing
> out the "reasonably calculated to make ... aware" from the ODbL.

I strongly disagree.

As discussed before the "reasonably calculated" in the ODbL quite
clearly refers to that the basis for the determination that the efforts
to "make any Person [...] aware [...]" needs to be reason.  This rules
out making the required extent of attribution depend on external
constraints like for example economic viability in a certain use case.
The only basis for determining what level of attribution is required is
reason in the assessment if said attribution makes people aware that
OSM data is being use.  The idea that for example in a small screen
display situation people are with a less visible attribution equally
likely to become aware of the source of the data is without a basis in
reason.

Reason dictates that in a small screen display situation *different*
methods of making the user aware of the use of OSM data might be
advisable - but not *less prominent ones*.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/