[OSM-talk] Attribution guideline update

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Thu Feb 20 10:19:10 UTC 2020

Le 19/02/2020 à 09:59, Simon Poole a écrit :
> The LWG has now integrated feedback from the initial airing in August
> last year, from a total of three sessions at SOTM-US and SOTM in
> Heidelberg, feedback from the OSMF board and from the wider OSM community.
>
> Barring any major late developing issues, we intend to forward this to
> the OSMF board for formal approval at the next LWG meeting on the 12th
> of March. If you have any comments please feel free to add them to the
> wikis talk page.
>
> The updated document can be found here
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Draft_Attribution_Guideline
>
> Simon
>
> PS: please disregard the numbering in the document, that will not be
> present on the OSMF wiki.

Thank you Simon !

Like many others, I hardly agree on 2 things:

- the 10.000m2 limit, this is completely artificial

- the mobile rule allowing an interaction to access the attribution

The minimal "(C) OpenStreetMap" attribution requires very few pixels,
less than 150. When this space is available, direct attribution should
be there, whatever the size of the screen or type of device.

When multiple attributions are required (from OpenStreetMap and others)
and space is limited, a single "Copyright" with link or interaction
could replace it. This eliminates the battle for screen space between
Mapbox logo vs OpenStreetMap (because we're indirectly talking of that)
and moves both at the same attribution level.

Setting such a fixed limit could also solve the thumbnail problem... a
150px wide image can't deliver so much map data...

--

Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France