[OSM-talk] missing maps? no: missing GPS traces.

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Thu Feb 20 10:26:35 UTC 2020

Hi Mario,

I switched from an app to the dedicated GPS device. It is for now the
Garmin eTrex 35 Touch (no affiliation). It is capable to record a GPS
trace for about 20 hours on the pair of cheap AA alkaline batteries.

Here is, for example, the 431 km GPS trace I recorded in Mexico from
inside a bus: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4330126920 , or
the 488 km GPS trace I recorded in Ukraine from inside the train. I
published these traces also at the OSM.

This device is using EGNOS [1], the European Geostationary Navigation
Overlay Service, a satellite based augmentation system, in Europe, and
the WAAS [2], the Wide Area Augmentation System, in the North America.

This GPS tracker is quite rugged. It can survive being in the rain for
hours or dropped on a hard surface. But most important it works for
hours without discharging my communication device.

It has got also its share of disadvantages. It has modes for hiking,
cycling, climbing, and even fishing, but no modes for the train or the
bus. If you look carefully at the above mentioned traces you may notice
that they were recorded in the cycling mode. And after the device's app
uploads them to the website, I receive superfluous automatic
notifications about reward badges for long distance cycling. However, it
should be clear to the software that no one could cycle 431 kilometers
with the average speed of 69 km/h.

I think of upgrading my GPS logger. I would like to have one with the
modes for the train, bus, and car, in addition to cycling and hiking, a
bit larger display, but also to keep ruggedness, long endurance, and
portability. I think it would be a good idea to have also an external
GPS sensor with a cable of about 3 meters (10 feet). For example, to
install it on the roof of a survey car. But I am not sure about the
external sensor, since such a long cable may weaken the received GPS signal.

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Geostationary_Navigation_Overlay_Service
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Area_Augmentation_System

Best regards,