[OSM-talk] nomoj de internaciaj objektoj / nazwy obiektów międzynarodowych / names of international objects

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 6 06:26:54 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-05 23:25, Tomek wrote:

> EN (automatic translation)
> I plan to remove the "name" and "wikipedia" tags from places that are
> not associated with a specific nation or language:
> * continents
> * north and south poles
> * seas and bays, but exceptionally leaving the "name" tag for seas
> with a maximum of two (or three) languages of neighboring countries,
> so for example "Белое море" will not change.
> The purpose of this edition is to make the OSM map more neutral and
> not humiliate people from any country. There is no reason for the

Humiliation is your own feeling. I am not British or American and I am
not humiliated (or have any negative feelings) when I see such a tag.

Can you explain also what this fixes? If any rendering engine wants to
render a name and the name tag is not present, it will want to revert to
another name. That may be name:en. That probably will not be to your
liking, so will you then also remove the name:en tag?

> Baltic Sea to be the "Baltic Sea" or for South America to be "South
> America" - this is an example of English imperialism.

This "imperialism" idea of yours is just your idea. It is not something
that is widely felt.

> Any data will not be lost - programs will be able to extract the
> desired name from the tags name:en, name:pl, etc., Wikipedia links
> will be available via Wikidata.
> Please support (vote) my proposal or write a reason why not.

I vote against it, if not only because your stance on this is flawed,
but also because this might remove correct and valuable information.

Regards,
Maarten