[OSM-talk] [Tagging] nomoj de internaciaj objektoj / nazwy obiektów międzynarodowych / names of international objects

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 6 17:35:47 UTC 2020

Le 06.01.20 à 16:35, Martin Koppenhoefer a écrit :
> in OpenStreetMap we’re trying to represent the current state of things

I agree with that.

> English using it in international context as a fallback.

yes as a fallback, not as a rule "international -> name=name:en"
but if a lake is in a multi-lingual area, if a country has several
official languages, if a sea is bordered by countries which together
have a very small number of names (2 or 3 in the case of the Baltic Sea)
or even a name with a large majority, if a continent has a majority
language, there is no obligation to use English as a fallback:

if the local community around the lake decides to have a name other
than English, if a country have a multilingual name, if the community
of the countries around the Baltic Sea decides to use the most used
name or a combination of the 3 most common, if a local majority of
a continent decide to use Portuguese/Spanish or any other language that
better represents the name as used there, I see no reason for this not
to happen.
but this must be done in a transparent way, (a message on the forum with
announcements in the national lists?) and then documented on the
multilingual names page, and not a mecanical edit because a contributor
wants such a language.

Once the language of the name tag is modified, I see no reason why
the wikipedia language could not be modified in the same language
as the name if that wikipedia page exists and is not a stub.