[OSM-talk] [Tagging] nomoj de internaciaj objektoj / nazwy obiektów międzynarodowych / names of international objects

Mario Frasca mario at anche.no
Tue Jan 7 02:27:52 UTC 2020

On 06/01/2020 09:45, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> but it's quite difficult to decide which
> tag to use in each region

what about … as long as we're discussing relations … a relation could
have a node with role `label:xx` where the xx is a language code.  it
would specify where to put the corresponding name.  so for the Baltic
Sea, you would have several nodes indicating where to put the several
names in the several languages, each next to the corresponding shore.

I like the idea, if I understand Marc Gemis correctly, of having
(mostly) nameless maps, with transparencies for each language. but yes
someone has to program this.

one reason for mentioning Morocco: it shows how three names is perceived
as too many.  the impact on South America could be to name it in Spanish
and Portuguese (two languages), and by this we would cover more than 99%
of the people living there.  North America would need Spanish, English
and French, so maybe that would be one language too many.

(interesting page, that about "Imperialisme linguistique".  the Dutch
version of it, very short, mentions Morocco for the other reason I
mentioned it myself: the country has experienced French and Arabic
cultural imperialism, and is now trying to implement some respect for
the majority of their (Amazigh) people.  taken to this context, this
would be the OSM-people who do not read nor write to this list.  mind
you, the list is called 'talk', not 'talk:en'.)

Interlingua/Lingua Franca would be a nice compromise, at least for South
America and the seas next to Spain, France, and Italy, where more than
three languages are recognized and even more spoken, but all are
neo-latin.  I don't know whether anything like this could apply to the
Baltic, or to other seas.

anyhow, leaving implementations aside, I think that a bit more
language-culture agnosticism would not harm OSM.

MF