[OSM-talk] Fwd: [Tagging] Tagging the local language

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 16:14:59 UTC 2020

Am Sa., 11. Jan. 2020 um 01:30 Uhr schrieb Joseph Eisenberg <
joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>:

> On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 2:49 AM Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
> wrote:
>
>> or to use tricks like the “place=neighbourhood” one (which is based on
>> POIs rather than polygons)?
>>
>> It is certainly wrong to do this.
>>

> I think the “trick” here is referring to the stand at practice of mapping
> all place= features as nodes, including neighborhoods, because their
> boundaries are usually fuzzy (and precise boundaries can be mapped with
> boundary=administrative or another boundary= tag).

mostly I agree, although it should be mentioned that neighbourhood (or
other place boundaries like quarter and suburb) may be very clear although
they aren't officially declared: when they are hard "natural" borders like
railroads, rivers, motorways, etc. Also a change in the urban structure
(urban confuguration, architectural style, living standards, socially /
ownerstructure, etc.). can mark a border very strongly in some instances,
without it having to be an administrative boundary.

Cheers
Martin