[OSM-talk] [Tagging] nomoj de internaciaj objektoj / nazwy obiektów międzynarodowych / names of international objects

Alan Mackie aamackie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 21:25:48 UTC 2020

The elephant in the room here is that this is a project founded in London
in (British) English.  Regardless of the 'name' tag, all the main tags are
themselves written in English, the official wording of the license is in
English, the primary documentation is in English, the historical
discussions about standard practice, most of the tools,  etc. etc. etc..
Changing the 'façade' on international objects will not change this
underlying fact, and I don't think there is good enough a reason to.

OpenStreetMap is open source, the whole thing can be machine translated
into Esperanto, Klingon or Latin if you like, all you have to do is fork
it. I suspect the forked project will see far less use, especially if you
choose a niche constructed language that never really caught on.

Meanwhile, a great number of international endeavours are currently
conducted in English, it has become the Lingua Franca for many things now
that the original Lingua Franca has gone the way of the Dodo. It also has
the advantage that it can be expressed with a set of characters that is
supported by just about every computing device you are likely to encounter
worldwide without special hardware. Values have to support a wider array of
characters, but in every case I can think of: 'local character set' + ASCII
should get you what you need to contribute to the database, even if you
have lots of regional subtags. It will also allow visitors to enter
everything except name if they can't read the script on the sign, but do
know what an object is.

I don't think it makes sense for the main tagging scheme to change language
and as long as that is true I don't think it makes sense to change the name
tags on international objects either.