[OSM-talk] Building a tile-server

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 22:52:33 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 12:56 Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 15:18 Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yesterday I took my first try at using osm2pgsql on a pbm file and,
> > too late, I realized I didn't take full advantage of the server's
> > large RAM and multi-core capability.
>
> Okay, I'm making progress, thanks to you all.

But got stopped again running out of space trying to import
north-america-latest.osm.pbf (approx 10 Gb pbm file).

I had a 256 Gg SSD added and moved both the osm user and the postgresql
data files to it. The failure was at approx 147 Gb pgsql and 60 Gb osm.

So, which should I move away? If I had my choice I would keep the pg on SSD
for serving, but is there enough space?

I can get a larger single SSD up to 1 Tb but my budget is not unlimited.
Does anyone have ball-park figures available on space really needed during
and after import?

Thanks for any hints.

-Tom