[OSM-talk] Deprecated feature template in the wiki

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 12:07:01 UTC 2020

I have seen that some features have been "deprecated" in the wiki by
replacing all documentation with a template like this:
example https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dwater_tank

> {{Deprecated
> |oldkey=man_made
> |oldvalue=water_tank
> |newtext=tag:man_made=storage_tank + tag:content=water
> }}

which leads to this text:

> This feature has been labeled as *deprecated*. The recommended
> replacement is: tag:man_made=storage_tank + tag:content=water .
> The reason is documented in Deprecated features
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Deprecated_features>. You are still
> free to continue to use or interpret this tag as you see fit since
> OpenStreetMap does not have “banned features”.
> *Under no circumstances should you (semi-)automatically change
> “deprecated” tags to something else in the database on a large scale
> without conforming to the Automated Edits code of conduct
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct>. Any
> such change will be reverted.*

in the sidebar, the definition is replaced by "Using this tag is
discouraged, use man_made=storage_tank + content=water instead. "

This doesn't make sense. Why is the definition for the tag removed? Why
should someone not " (semi-)automatically change “deprecated” tags to
something else in the database" if these tags are completely synonymous as
the template suggests?

I am fine with adding deprecation templates which should add some kind of
marker about the deprecation, but the original page content should not be
removed. The deprecation marker should be an addition.

I also believe replacing the tag image with this one
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/Commons-emblem-hand.svg/200px-Commons-emblem-hand.svg.png
is carrying this to excess.

Cheers
Martin