[OSM-talk] Could/should editors detect/disallow huge changeset bboxes?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 12 11:19:58 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-12 13:00, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if it would be feasible or desirable for editors to warn users
> if they are at risk of creating country/world-spanning changesets.
> Something like "you have unsaved edits more than 500km away from where
> you are editing at the moment, please upload those before you continue"
> or so.
>
> World-spanning changesets are a constant source of irritation, and very
> rarely intentional.

But sometimes they are intentional, so they should not be prevented
entirely, but possibly just challenged. Admin boundaries may need to be
exempted?

I am not sure how the bounding box for the changeset is calculated at
present, but for these purposes it should possibly be limited to the
nodes that have changed, and not automatically expanded to the entire
way or relation that the change impacts. Moving one node on a country
boundary should not classify the changeset as covering the whole
country.

There are probably farms in Texas bigger than Luxembourg... Where do you
draw the line?