[OSM-talk] Could/should editors detect/disallow huge changeset bboxes?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Jun 12 11:53:43 UTC 2020

Jun 12, 2020, 13:00 by frederik at remote.org:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if it would be feasible or desirable for editors to warn users
> if they are at risk of creating country/world-spanning changesets.
> Something like "you have unsaved edits more than 500km away from where
> you are editing at the moment, please upload those before you continue"
> or so.
>
> World-spanning changesets are a constant source of irritation, and very
> rarely intentional.

It is both feasible and desirable.

For bonus points do not ask when one of already existing edited elements is
extremely largeĀ  (if one edits/deletes continent-sized element then large bbox is unavoidable).

But I think that it is topic that should be discussed/reported on bug trackers of editors
first, it seems a more efficient method to achieve improvements (avoidable world-spanning
bboxes are known to be undesirable, I think that confirmation for that is not necessary).