[OSM-talk] Could/should editors detect/disallow huge changeset bboxes?

ndrw ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Fri Jun 12 15:16:34 UTC 2020

On 12/06/2020 13:35, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> On 12.06.20 13:00, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> I wonder if it would be feasible or desirable for editors to warn users
>> if they are at risk of creating country/world-spanning changesets.
> It would certainly be a improvement for day-to-day work.
>
> The root of the issue, though, is that bounding boxes are a poor basis
> to determine whether a changeset is of interest to a mapper watching a
> particular region. If a changeset contains a change in France and one in
> Poland, then a mapper observing Germany should really just not be
> alerted to that changeset in the first place, and it should be possible
> for a mapper in Poland to view only the subset of the changes that
> affect their own country.

I think the issue is with the cost of querying bboxes of all changed
objects vs bbox of the changeset. I don't know how expensive it is to
query all objects, though. Perhaps we could keep using the changeset
bbox for large changesets (e.g. >100 modified objects) and query all
individual objects for smaller changesets?

The issue is mostly with the history browser on osm.org, as it is not
particularly good tool for checking what has been changed, but that's
what most people see first before examining the changeset in osmcha or
similar tools.

Ndrw