[OSM-talk] Could/should editors detect/disallow huge changeset bboxes?

Alan Mackie aamackie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 16:26:20 UTC 2020

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 at 16:45, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> This isn't unique to JOSM, though.  This is *easily* doable with iD as
> well (as evidenced by watching OSMCha with a bbox edged on Oklahoma's
> maximum extents, Amazon Logistics does this a good 3-4 times a day every
> day with changesets spanning the continent).  And I've done it in Vespucci
> by accident.

I get notifications because of this sort of behaviour fairly frequently. I
think iD and Maps.me are by far the most frequent "offenders", followed
swiftly by wheelmap.org, but I haven't kept a proper count.

In JOSM a better way to select deleted objects (formerly) within a given
area would be nice, but is it generally less prone to this anyway as new
sessions tend to start as new layers. Manual download for new areas can
serve as a reminder that this isn't "live" too.

There have been requests for iD to warn users if they have unsaved edits
far away before they start editing a new area, but so far these issues have
been closed once it is mentioned that other software also does this on
occasion. See for example this issue:

https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/7434