[OSM-talk] Could/should editors detect/disallow huge changeset bboxes?

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Sat Jun 13 06:03:11 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 11:19:46AM -0400, James wrote:
> No they shouldn't, mapping roads in northern Canada, your bbox can become
> quite large quickly as mapping logging roads/dirt roads is quick and easy,
> but span over multiple kms

The point is that the line/way of that road should also not span tens of
kms. You should break that up every couple of kilometers.

Otherwise this is prone to break one day or the other. And its simply
inefficient. Every time you touch that road you invalidate hundrets
of tiles.

When i load some area in josm and there is an object which spans
multiple times of my edit area i typically split it down. Be it
roads or waterways. And there are few tags which REALLY span that
long objects.

Flo