[OSM-talk] Could/should editors detect/disallow huge changeset bboxes?

Phil Wyatt phil at wyatt-family.com
Sat Jun 13 06:29:23 UTC 2020

The issue is actually still open in ID

https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/5424

and references the more recent request

https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/7434

From: Alan Mackie <aamackie at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, 13 June 2020 2:26 AM
To: Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org>
Cc: Talk Openstreetmap <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Could/should editors detect/disallow huge changeset bboxes?

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 at 16:45, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org <mailto:baloo at ursamundi.org> > wrote:

This isn't unique to JOSM, though.  This is easily doable with iD as well (as evidenced by watching OSMCha with a bbox edged on Oklahoma's maximum extents, Amazon Logistics does this a good 3-4 times a day every day with changesets spanning the continent).  And I've done it in Vespucci by accident.

I get notifications because of this sort of behaviour fairly frequently. I think iD and Maps.me are by far the most frequent "offenders", followed swiftly by wheelmap.org <http://wheelmap.org> , but I haven't kept a proper count.

In JOSM a better way to select deleted objects (formerly) within a given area would be nice, but is it generally less prone to this anyway as new sessions tend to start as new layers. Manual download for new areas can serve as a reminder that this isn't "live" too.

There have been requests for iD to warn users if they have unsaved edits far away before they start editing a new area, but so far these issues have been closed once it is mentioned that other software also does this on occasion. See for example this issue:

https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/7434