[OSM-talk] Large cadastral polygons

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 08:31:14 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 12. Jun 2020, at 17:39, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>
> Not just that, but cadastral type tags probably shouldn't be spanning large areas to start with.  If your landuse or landcover polygon is crossing an unclassified or higher highway, you're probably making a big mistake.  landuse=residential is NOT a substitute for place=neighborhood (something I see a lot).

+1, I would go even further, and at least in countries like Germany (roads not on parcels), no urban landuse should ideally contain public roads. This makes editing much easier, multipolygons are not or very rarely needed for landuse mapped in this way. Easier to understand and more detailed.
Then, use place for settlement parts.

> If you have reasonably high resolution (like, at least Esri Clarity in the midwest) imagery available, it's often possible to see lot stakes and fenceposts on property boundaries...that seems like a reasonable edge for a landuse polygon.

+1

Cheers Martin