[OSM-talk] Could/should editors detect/disallow huge changeset bboxes?

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Jun 13 10:39:46 UTC 2020

I've advocated for this in the past,  but getting this right from a
business logic pov is fairly tricky and is yet another thing that an
editor needs to keep track of when creating and modify geometries, and
changing tags. From the top my head at least: new object creation,
dragging nodes and ways, merging and splitting ways, adding and removing
relation members, copy, cut and paste, all tag changes. While each of
these might be minor things, all together they have a clear performance
and complexity impact and require UI additions to handle. This is
assuming that such a bounding box limit would not be enforced by the
API, if enforced you actively have to not allow the user to make the
change which is even more painful.

If the limit is enforced there are all kinds of vandalism/DoS scenarios
that would probably require lifting the restriction for admins/mods.

And all this because of a API defect (because there is just one bounding
box per changeset instead of a list)?

Simon