[OSM-talk] Facebook acquires crowdsourced mapping company Mapillary

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Thu Jun 25 14:16:59 UTC 2020

Hola,

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 12:46:16PM -0700, Mark Wagner wrote:
> Serious funding?  Yes.  Outrageous funding?  No.
>
> Rough estimate:
>
> * The CIA World Factbook says there are about 64 000 000 km of roads in
>   the world.
> * Google Street View takes 100 photos per km.
> * A photosphere from my tablet, compressed using WebP at 50% quality
>   takes 2.7 MB.

Thats pretty much pointless. Have a look at Photos taken which have
shown up in Mapillary. There is a history and multiple angles and
much more Photos per km than Google Street View. And its not
just roads but footways, passages, rivers etc.

> This is about 17 280 TB of storage to cover the entire world at Google
> Street View quality.  It would cost $215 000 per month to store in
> Amazon S3, or $89 000 per month in Backblaze B2.  It's well within the
> capacity of someone like the Wikimedia Foundation.

Mapillary says i have 1080km with 164k images thats an image every
6.5m on average. And image is roughly 3MByte for me on average which
is NOT a 360° but a 120° field of view.

flo at p4:/scratch/local/mapillary$ find . -type f -name "*.JPG" | wc -l
102748
flo at p4:/scratch/local/mapillary$ du -sk .
315372436	.
flo at p4:/scratch/local/mapillary$ echo $[ 315372436 / 102748 ]
3069

So i produce 500GB per 1000km of ways - not just roads. Assuming
that the amount of ways is twice the number of roads and we
have 4 points in time we take a Photo thats
64 000 000km * 2 * 4 thats 512 000 000km of road times the
500GB per 1000km thats 256 000TB so the amount of money
is at least an order larger.

Mapillary themselves say on their web pages that they already
have 1,199,363,907 images. Thats 3515625 GB or 3.5TB Data assuming
3MByte per image.

So yes - You need serious funding. And i dont say that thats out of
reach of Wikimedia but its not a simple home project. And we didnt
talk about transfer costs etc. If you do some Machine Learning and post
processing you touch every image multiple times.

Flo