[OSM-talk] Facebook acquires crowdsourced mapping company Mapillary

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 03:45:07 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 10:48 PM Mark Wagner <mark+osm at carnildo.com> wrote:

> Distributed storage is one of those things that sounds good, but
> nobody's figured out how to make it actually work well.

I also wonder about privacy and security in a distributed system. Will
the distributed system only contain the blurred images? What about the
original images, will they be spread over the world, to servers ran by
unknown people, organizations, governments? Will that be an
improvement over having them owned by Facebook?

m.