[OSM-talk] #AttributionIsNotOptional experiment on OSM France tile servers

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Sun Mar 8 09:14:58 UTC 2020

Here is a hort report on this experiment...

I started a week ago by searching OSM France tile server logs for
referer and checked manually if the map on the refering page was
correctly attributed.

This allowed me to create a short list of 20 entries of sites using the
french styled tiles and the humanitarian tiles (yes, it is made by OSM
France).

I then modified our nginx based proxy_cache configuration, to redirect
some tiles to an "attribution tile" only for the domain in the list.

For two of them, I tweeted about it... the most visible one is the
moroco yellow page service, generating a little less than a million
daily tile requests on our servers.

https://twitter.com/cq94/status/1234516075695525888

In less than 24 hours, the attribution appeared and I removed them from
the list.

https://twitter.com/cq94/status/1234779931537739776

Then I included an email address in the attribution reminder tile... and
got emails back within a few hours.

Some were asking how to do the attribution, others telling me the
attribution was now ok and asking how to remove the reminder tiles.

In my answers, I also remind that our tile service made by volunteers on
donated hardware is not unlimited and inviting them to have a look at
switch2osm to setup their own tile server or use a commercial provider.

Up to now, nobody complained :)

Yesterday, I've started automating attribution checking using selenium.
For each referer, a python script loads the page, searches for tiles,
then looks for attribution text or link. The result is stored in a
postgresql database which allows to group referers by url, hostname and ip.

The attribution percentage I currently see is around 70-80% which is not
that bad.

My next major step is to use the same technique to remind about tile
usage policy...

To do something similar on osm.org, a first step is to extract referers
from the cache logs, then use the automated attribution check to
evaluate the situation.

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France