[OSM-talk] Announcing Daylight Map Distribution

80hnhtv4agou at bk.ru 80hnhtv4agou at bk.ru
Wed Mar 11 03:59:23 UTC 2020

how do i fix a local mistake, as a local, that goes on for miles.

>Tuesday, March 10, 2020 5:13 AM -05:00 from Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>:
>

>  Fixing stuff in OSM purely from imagery may not be good.
>
>A local mapper who sees something may add it before any satellite imagery has it.
>
>If you then 'fix' this back to the satellite imagery you will have committed an error,
>and that error may dissuade our most important resource from ever making any further changes- the local mapper.
>
>Be very careful!

I second this last line !

I am observing an influx of mixed-quality remote edits from Amazon Logistics in my area.
I expect this Facebook operation to produce much more changes or potential changes (=suspected errors).
What we need for both cases and similar ones in the future is a way of being able to identify such changes, which by their nature will be armchair-mapping efforts.
I do not have a specific proposal, but I would appreciate a tool that helps me, as local mapper,  find these edits, and, more importantly we need a new approach to organise digesting these massive distributed armchair-mapping interventions on OSM data.
I don't realistically think that banning these activities is good for OSM. Not dealing in a systematic way with it at all presents, however, a big risk of deteriorating the map for two reasons:
(1) bad armchair edits by Amazon and Facebook (and others)
(2) demotivating non-armchair mappers

I repeat I do not have a proposal how to handle that. My main concern is that the required work for locally checking even only those edits that need checking (I am assuming that at least FB has good algorithms to sort out the dead-certain corrections beforehand. I am more sceptical with Amazon's changing local access tagging to, essentially, "yes" everywhere they have delivered something by delivery van. I came across a good number of them, and in most cases they were at least dubious)

Volker
(Padova, Italy)