[OSM-talk] #AttributionIsNotOptional experiment on OSM France tile servers

Mario Frasca mario at anche.no
Wed Mar 11 15:26:37 UTC 2020

On 11/03/2020 09:37, Simon Poole wrote:

> As I wrote (conveniently ignored in the noise of the vigilante
> rampage): "The safe, I admit also the less fun, option, is to simply
> block access after giving any required notice."

Hi Simon.  let me provide you my individual reason for ignoring your option.

I fear that blocking access will push people to other services. whatever
you say about costs and resources, favouring Mr.G. can never be an
acceptable outcome.

I also think that "giving any required notice" needs an acknowledgement,
like others have remarked: you write an email to the web master, and if
anybody ever receives it, it's not the relevant people.

this French experiment is a very nice one, it has proved effective, and
I invite the author to share more of their positive experience.  may I
suggest identifying metrics, estimate them from the French experiment,
and use them to adapt and repeat the experience from a different
server.  that is, if anybody is noticing any similar abuse.  maybe the
French were in some sort of special situation.

in the altered experiment, you may even include the formal approach:
"write to web master, wait one week without reply, write again, no
reply, block the service, check how long it takes them to show Google Maps".

Mario