[OSM-talk] #AttributionIsNotOptional experiment on OSM France tile servers

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Mar 12 14:35:58 UTC 2020

The process of

- creating a list of sites that you want to target

- creating a message and designing a method to display it on the 3rd
parties website

is very much deliberately scribbling on the third parties website.

To use a completely different example: assume that you purchase a TV set
paid by monthly instalments and you default on them. In civilised
countries that doesn't give the seller the right to break in to your
apartment and repossess the TV, they don't get to cut off electricity to
the flat and they don't get the right to stick big notices on your
doors. The seller needs to utilize the  whatever tools are provided by
the legal system, totally regardless off how upset they are and how
righteous they might feel about their actions.

Simon