[OSM-talk] OSM is not the place for dissemination of authoritative data sets

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Mar 19 19:02:24 UTC 2020

Mar 19, 2020, 17:54 by joi at betra.is:

> However I believe including them is beneficial for OSM and its users and so have been doing updates as I can. However it is not an easy process for large areas, having to chop the huge Vatnajökulsþjóðgarður (over 15% of Iceland) up due to max nodes is not an easy feat - and now I have to update it due to expanded boundaries and quite honestly it is a daunting task (it will be easier to delete it and re-import it in a very time consuming manner).
>
> So - why are authoritative data sets an unwelcome addition? I have many data sets that I need to disseminate but only some are useful for OSM (in my view). Also keeping them in sync can get harder as the key-cleanup crew was roaming around recently.

In some cases importing official datasets is helpful.

But (at least to me) "dissemination of authoritative data sets" sounds like
"overwriting OSM data with external dataset" or "importing just because it is official".

Just yesterday I was explaining to one of mappers that it is OK to map roads
that are not existing according to the official data.