[OSM-talk] OSM is not the place for dissemination of authoritative data sets

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Mar 19 19:13:40 UTC 2020

Mar 19, 2020, 12:57 by mikel.maron at gmail.com:

> Frederik, you’re crying out against phantoms, and getting stuck on one interpretation of the word “authoritative”, and using that misinterpretation as an excuse to beat on one of your favorite punching bags, and try to exact radical unrational restrictions on a piece of software.
>
> What Facebook is saying here is that RapiD can make the technical part of the import process easier. It’s a well done conflation process that has every single new feature individually examined by a mapper.
>
> There is nothing here about circumventing our well defined import guidelines, or disrespecting our basic tenets. It’s just your imagination.

Sorry but no. They are clearly trying to get around how import process currently works.
It is not just conflation tool. Can you link me to the OSM Wiki page documenting Facebook
import of automatically detected buildings?

>From what I remember they circumvented our well defined import guidelines.

First by making edits without going through a proposal process (importing walls in Egypt
as roads etc).

Later by making editor and asking other to make edits on their behalf (what could be acceptable
if this people are actually reviewing data, not clicking "add all" without proper checks).