[OSM-talk] OSM is not the place for dissemination of authoritative data sets

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 19:21:23 UTC 2020

> What's your guess, who will care more for the map, people who have copied AI generated data or those who have created it, or doesn't it matter and it's the same?
Germany is awesome but not the only way things can develop. People who already care about OSM and have for years think rapid can help. They also recognize it has limitations.
And btw, this thread started on the theoretical possibility of rapid being used for general purpose conflation, not AI proposed data.
Mikel

On Thursday, March 19, 2020, 11:12 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

Am Do., 19. März 2020 um 13:01 Uhr schrieb Mikel Maron <mikel.maron at gmail.com>:

Martin, have you actually tried RapiD? It doesnt resemble what you describe and does not disempower anyone.

it changes the way we add things, or at least has potential to significantly shift the relation of individual people creating geodata (bottom up) towards big players providing geodata (top down) which at best gets looked at and "confirmed" by the contributor who actually copies it in, at worst it is a click-through mechanical operation without any effective review.

 From talking to mappers in places with less developed maps than Germany, there is enthusiasm about a tool that will help their mapping processes, and a thorough understanding of the limits of the approach.

as always, you can find both, people applauding and people opposing. If Germany had started with a process like this, they would not be where they are now (a vital community of active mappers). To keep the data useful, permanent maintenance is required. What's your guess, who will care more for the map, people who have copied AI generated data or those who have created it, or doesn't it matter and it's the same?
CheersMartin