[OSM-talk] OSM is not the place for dissemination of authoritative data sets

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Mar 20 18:17:17 UTC 2020

On 19/03/2020 17:28, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> I think I have said that in the past already:  "Assume good faith" as a
> general principle can on OSM only work w.r.t. individuals taking full
> and permanant responsibility for their own actions.  There cannot be an
> assumption of good faith for inherently amoral corporate entities or
> individuals making decisions on behalf of such entities.

Yep.

In addition, an assumption of good faith is a starting point that can be
disproven by later conduct; it is not a perpetual mandate to be upheld
even in the face of contrary evidence.

Facebook has been around for 15+ years. The same people are running it.
We can look at their behaviour, at what they do, and predict what
they're likely to do in the future.