[OSM-talk] New status for keys/tags in the wiki: "import" for tags that are only imported from an external database

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 14:42:55 UTC 2020

After the discussion, the status "import" should be limited to tags
that are clearly imported from external sources. Common examples are
external references, IDs, source tags, and specialized import-only
tags (e.g. "tiger:*"). Most of these don't have a wiki page.

I've added status=import and tagged a few keys which are documented:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Key_descriptions_with_status_%22import%22

Examples:

Key:gnis:feature_id
Key:import_uuid
Key:ref:bag
Key:ref:FR:MemorialGenWeb
Key:ref:ruian
Key:ref:sandre
Key:tiger
Tag:source:addr=GURS

All of these are clearly from imports only (e.g Key:tiger,
Key:import_uuid) or are only used as an external reference to another
database, and cannot be obtained by visiting the feature in person.

If I've made any mistakes, by including a ref:* which is actually used
on physical signs or obects, rather than only in another website or
database, please make corrections.

Also see update of https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Approval_status
with this value.

-- Joseph Eisenberg