[OSM-talk] Strava high resolution heatmap

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Tue Mar 31 16:56:32 UTC 2020

On 3/31/2020 7:26 AM, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to find out at what point we sare with the Strava high-res
> heatmap.
> Forma a lagal point of view: can we use it for improving OSM?
> If yes, how can we do that?
> Unfortunately there is a lot of out-dated information around.

The latest I've heard is this thread from last November:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2019-November/083563.html

Rodrigo Davies at Strava says they "don't currently see a problem" with
using the heatmap for mapping. A screenshot of this communication was
added to the wiki at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Permissions/Strava

The wording falls short of a formal licensed release so personally I'm
not comfortable adding paths based on Strava data alone. But I've used
it to help with aligning aerial imagery, double-checking my own GPS
traces, and marking spots for further survey.

I probably wouldn't be comfortable adding paths based on Strava data
alone even if they did have an explicitly ODBL compatible license. Just
because there are GPS traces doesn't mean there's a path (plenty of
popular bushwacking routes in their data) and certainly doesn't tell me
what value to use for the highway key.

Jason