[OSM-talk] JOSM: Java issue & font size

Taylor Smock taylor.smock at kaart.com
Mon May 4 13:22:34 UTC 2020

On 5/4/20 5:00 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> I recently upgraded Java on my Windows 10 laptop, to the latest version.
>
> I now have the tiny font and icon issue, that I previously resolved by
> following the steps outlines at:
>
> https://superuser.com/questions/652606/is-there-a-way-to-increase-the-default-font-size-for-java-gui-applications
>
> However, despite repeating those steps, i still have the tiny sizes,
> even after restarting the machine.
>
> JOSM is therefore virtually unusable.
>
> Can anyone advise, please?

What you have told us isn't very useful. It would be nice to know what
plugins (if any) you are using. There is a reason why bug reports
_require_ the JOSM status report.

For example, if you have Mapillary installed, there is an interaction
between the dependent JavaFX plugin and the display environment that I
haven't had time to track down. There is a workaround, but if you need
to use date filters for Mapillary, you will have to type in the date in
YYYY-MM-DD format.

So, if you do have the Mapillary plugin installed, you can see if the
following "fixes" the problem:
Go to JOSM Preferences -> Display Settings -> Mapillary and then uncheck
"Use JavaFX for better looking dialogs".

Alternatively, you may have to update Java. Java 8 does not support
HiDPI displays well. (You state that you recently upgraded Java to the
latest version, but which latest version? The latest Java 8 version? The
latest Java 14 version? One of the Java 15 Early Access builds?)

I'm sorry I couldn't help,

Taylor