[OSM-talk] W3C - OGC Joint Online Workshop on Web Maps - September 21st - October 2nd 2020

Rushforth, Peter (NRCAN/RNCAN) peter.rushforth.nrcan-rncan at gccollaboration.ca
Fri May 8 20:04:47 UTC 2020

Hello,

I apologize for emailing you directly, possibly duplicating communications that you may have already received.

I would like to draw your attention to the recently re-opened call for positions or presentations for a joint W3C - OGC online workshop on standardizing maps for the Web<https://w3.org/2020/maps/>, to be held during the weeks of Sept 21st through October 2nd 2020.

In light of current circumstances, we've redesigned the structure of the workshop to optimize for remote, global participation. Instead of a few days of tightly scheduled sessions, we are planning to distribute the video-conference presentations over two weeks, in late September 2020, with written discussion to continue through October, so that everyone has a chance to catch up & comment on the discussion topics.

The goal of the workshop series is to start a conversation between web map creators, geospatial experts, and web standards editors and web browser developers, about how standardization can improve web mapping, for creators and for end users.

While the range of topics that can be addressed by participants is very broad, we are requesting presentations that specifically relate their content to the central topic of Web map standardization, such as accessibility, internationalization, discovery, privacy, security, extensibility etc.

We also want to continue with the original plan to have "hack" sessions, where community members can welcome new contributors to their open-source projects. The full details are still being worked out, and feedback or suggestions are welcome.

The deadline for proposals is June 30th, so that we have plenty of time to arrange a full agenda before September.  It would also be helpful, if you are interested, if you could fill in the registration form<https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/maps2020/> sooner rather than later, so that we know who is interested, and what you're interested in.

Please, share the news about the workshop within your organizations and communities, and with anyone else you think would be interested in improving maps on the web.

Please feel free to contact me directly, or to email the program committee<mailto:public-maps-workshop-pc at w3.org?subject=W3C%20-%20OGC%20Joint%20Online%20Workshop%20on%20Web%20Maps%20-%20September%2021st%20-%20October%202nd%202020> with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Peter

Peter Rushforth

Co-Chair, Program Committee

W3C - OGC Joint Online Workshop on Web Maps

Technology Advisor

Canada Centre for Mapping and Earth Observation

Natural Resources Canada / Government of Canada

peter.rushforth.nrcan-rncan at gccollaboration.ca<mailto:peter.rushforth.nrcan-rncan at gccollaboration.ca> / Tel: 613-759-7915

Conseiller technique

Centre canadien de cartographie et d'observation de la Terre

Ressources naturelles Canada / Gouvernement du Canada

peter.rushforth.nrcan-rncan at gccollaboration.ca<mailto:peter.rushforth.nrcan-rncan at gccollaboration.ca> / Tél: 613-759-7915