[OSM-talk] Quality and the Openstreetmap value chain

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue May 12 20:59:54 UTC 2020

May 12, 2020, 14:06 by frederik at remote.org:

> Colin,
>
> you're lumping in a few different things together I think.
>
> The scarce resource in this project are still mappers, not consumers.
> The mappers certainly want to make a good and usable map; but if you are
> faced with a choice of either making mapping more difficult or making
> using more difficult, I would still argue for ease of mapping any time -
> especially as, for reasons of diversity, we're trying to extend the
> "long tail" of mappers who might not be willing and able to learn the
> ins and outs of public transport relation mapping.
>
> So yes, let's give mappers the tools they need and let us have a
> dialogue with users about what they find useful, but if anything the
> users want means more complexity for mappers, I'm skeptical.

In addition note that mappers outnumber data consumers.

Something that makes editing even 10% easier and doubles
work for data consumer is worth doing, after all many mappers
will edit the same place over years.

Though, it is necessary to avoid things that make data
processing extremely hard or completely impossible.