[OSM-talk] Quality and the Openstreetmap value chain

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Sun May 17 23:29:55 UTC 2020

Hi Jean-Marc,

Long time no see!

Le mer. 13 mai 2020 à 17:08, Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org> a écrit :

> On 5/12/20 3:50 PM, Colin Smale wrote:
>
> The role I expect of the data consumers is to articulate how they would
> like to view the data (including what attributes they are expecting), and
> not to dictate how that data is stored/represented internally. Cartography,
> geography, statistics etc are very different skills to data modelling and
> database design.
>
> Indeed, technical implementations take functional requirements into
> account but have many other inputs and a different class of actors.
> Consumers, tell us what you want - not how to do it ! Same as any software
> project...

As a data consumer, telling you what I want directly often relates to how
tagging is built as I consume raw osm data without filters or
transformation done by any API (and that's fortunate).

"Same as any software project"
Corporate software projects can be designed to preserve silos and
inefficiency due to any so-called-valid excuse of dysfunctional middle
management (rude, but... change my mind)
OSM is a good opportunity to change practices and show some solutions that
would be really hard to provide at company scale.
So, respectably no, not like any software project please.

All the best

François