[OSM-talk] Should we map things that do not exist?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon May 25 14:48:32 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-25 16:20, Jack Armstrong wrote:

> Why are railways given a special status?

Nobody gives anything a status in OSM. Nothing is "approved" so nothing
is "forbidden" either. It is either used, or it is not used. It is not
even "forbidden" to use tags that someone has declared "deprecated".

Is there any case of a whole class of objects being removed from OSM on
the grounds that they "do not belong"? Who would burn their fingers on
that?

If we are looking to set a precedent for that it would probably be wiser
to pick on a less controversial and emotive subject.