[OSM-talk] Should we map things that do not exist?

ET Commands etcommands at gmail.com
Wed May 27 15:31:04 UTC 2020

> Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 14:02:47 +1000
> From: Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>
> To: talk at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Should we map things that do not exist?
>
> On 27/5/20 9:40 am, 80hnhtv4agou--- via talk wrote:
>> then why are there tags ?
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Demolished_Railway
>> and if the platform posts are still there ?
>
> Those tags are for things that are still there, if what remains is still
> identifiable as a building/railway/road/bridge then that should be
> mapped in OSM.
>

> Historic things should be mapped into OHM, even if they are no longer
> there or still remain ( a start and end date are usefull in OHM as a
> date slider can be used to revel what is there at that date).
>

>>      Tuesday, May 26, 2020 4:52 PM -05:00 from Jack Armstrong
>>      <jacknstacy at sprynet.com>:
>>      Thanks. I'll try that.
>>
>>          From: Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>>          </compose?To=61sundowner at gmail.com>>
>>
>>          Advise them to enter the historic railway into OHM ... or any
>>          historic object for that matter. This satisfies them that the
>>          object is mapped and frees OSM from it.

I like to download portions of  the OSM database from Geofabrik and make
custom maps for my GPS.  I also understand we're not supposed to map
historic objects in OSM, and why some people don't want to see
dismantled/razed railroads in the OSM database.  Being a railfan, I am
one of those that do want them.    Assuming all the dismantled railroads
in OSM were transferred to OHM, is there a way to take my OSM extracts
from Geofabrik and add in the dismantled railroads from OHM, so that the
resulting map would contain what I want?  I know I can use JOSM to copy
data from OHM to OSM, but for a large geographic area I don't think that
would not be practical.

Mark