[OSM-talk] Face and license blurring (GDPR territories)

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Oct 7 09:03:24 UTC 2020

Am 07.10.2020 um 10:25 schrieb Christian Quest:

> We have tested blurring using image segmentation which allows to blur
> full parts of pictures like people and cars, not only faces and
> license plates.
>

> Here is the result: https://takeitout.cquest.org/photo/cquest/blurred/
>

> The code used is on github: https://github.com/tyndare/blur-persons/
>

> We did some tests using TPU to speedup the process.

That looks (IMHO) very good and addresses some of the concerns I pointed
out, naturally not perfect, but it is far better than simply blurring
faces and number plates. As a tendency I would remove any colour of the
blurred object too in particular to make cars even less identifiable.

Simon

PS: why handbags are important for OSM is a bit of a mystery though :-)