[OSM-talk] A Call to Correct Narratives about Geospatial Work in the Philippines

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 14:30:13 UTC 2020

I have noticed that HOT does tend to promote the idea that HOT mapping is
bringing maps to areas that haven't been mapped before.  The emphasis is on
enthusiasm and tapping into the mappers before they move on to something
else.  This approach does get a fair bit of mapping done and the quality
side is improving.

I suspect that mix that in with a journalistic approach that tends to be
cost driven and simplify and the result is what you see.

There are some more serious HOT mappers and as you note quite a few
contributions to OpenStreetMap come from trained professional mappers
working for governments.

I think all we can do is recognise there is a range of contributors to
OpenStreetMap but how you get this recognised I'm not sure.  Talk nicely to
the BBC perhaps and ask them nicely to create a program on the subject?

Create a video?  To get a professional looking video is more complex that
it might sound at first glance.

Cheerio John